Thursday, April 7, 2016

about me


I, Donald L. Simons, worked as a special education teacher for over 35 years before retiring in 2006. In 1989, after working for years with at-risk youth, I founded Inbounds, Inc. A primary initiative of Inbounds, Inc. was to develop character and integrity in youth through teachable moments in athletics. I chose golf at that time, a sport traditionally absent or ignored in many urban communities. The idea of teaching golf techniques along with character core values and life skills was my visionary concept.

 

My first job and encounter with golf was at the age of 11. I worked part-time in Ann Arbor, Michigan at a municipal golf course for five years. Though in high school I played every other sport competitively, I stayed close to the game of golf by playing in junior golf tournaments. As a minority, I had absolutely no adverse conflicts at all, even back in the 1950’s.

 

I met Selena Johnson, founder and president of Hollywood Golf, at a golf show and became a consultant to her program. My associate Jim Nicholson and I gave several workshops at her program and I travelled to LaCosta, California with her when she received the Card Walker Award in 1989. The Card Walker award is one of the most esteemed awards in golf. Other award recipients have been Tom Watson, Jack Nicklaus and Bill Dickey. At LaCosta, I met top executives of the PGA Tour, including Tim Finchem, then PGA Tour Chairman, Ruffin Beckwith, Vice President of PGA Tour Production, and Sid Wilson, then Director of Public Relations for the PGA Tour. Brief discussions were held regarding Inbounds’ concepts.

 

For several years thereafter, Jim Nicholson and I traveled and met with esteemed persons from elite golf organizations, most specifically the PGA of America, to discuss details of our concept. We were educators and they are the teaching arm of the golf industry. After being invited by the PGA of America to present our program, Inbounds’ concepts were embraced by the PGA of America’s upper management. A number of documented discussions were held regarding working jointly to develop Inbounds’ concepts nationally.

 

After founding Inbounds, Inc. in 1989, I continued to work as a special education teacher and coach with adjudicated youth at Maxey Boys’ Training School. I also conducted Inbounds’ golf programs for the Ypsilanti Boys’ and Girls’ Club. This endeavor was enhanced by Eastern Michigan University, and in particular, Tom Pendleberry, who was the golf pro and manager of Eastern Michigan’s golf course, now named Eagle Crest.

 

From 1989 to 1993 I served part-time as a field representative for the Gary Player Design Group. My connections with Gary illustrated his high level of integrity.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment